Monday, March 15, 2010

When in Doubt, Bake



With all the cold weather, I have taken up baking. Not cakes or sweets, but breads. I now make our daily sandwich bread and rolls from scratch (and everyone seems to really like it). I have also experimented with a few specialties, one of which is bagels.

Being from New Jersey, Rob is a bagel snob. I have made two batches so far, but we are not quite there with taste. Rob claims I am just not Jewish enough to make really great bagels...but these will do until we revisit the Northeast.

The boys like to help with bagels because they are really hands on. Even though I have an amazing Kitchen Aid Pro-grade mixer, I find they turn out better if kneaded by hand. I love watching them in their little aprons get excited about baking stuff. Anthony will come in as soon as they are out of the oven. He will rub his little tummy and what is that yummy smell. Then I get big hugs and kisses as he attempts to convince me to give him one right away. Needless to say with a super sweet face like his, I cave pretty quick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I make mine with 100% white flour (KA), Matt loves them. When I add the wheat, not as much. He's from Monticello, NY and is also a bagel snob.