Sunday, March 3, 2013

Running 1/2 way there

"The real purpose of running isn't to win a race; it's to test the limits of the human heart."

Let's be clear, I am not a runner.  In college I ran because the AF made me.  When we switched to the bike test, I was elated.  Now, I only run to the store or the bank or after a small one.  I own a hat that says, "I thought they said RUM."

The logical question then is "Why in the name of all things holy would you chose to run a 1/2 marathon less than a year from back surgery when you haven't run in nearly a year and a half?"  Because Traci asked me to.  Yes, it is that simple of an answer.  When she said, "so your running right?"  my mind drew blank of all the reasons I can list for why I would never do this and the only thing I could think to say was "Sure."  Traci doesn't ask people to do things for her, she asks how she can do for others.  And with that, we started to run.

But this is not the only story, although it would be enough.  The rest of the story is that I found out that I am a runner.  For the fact is that simply stepping onto the track makes me one.  I don't need to be fast, or strong, or the best, or anything.  I simply must move forward to be a runner.  In college, I thought if you walked at all, you failed.  But that is untrue.  There is a whole strategy that involves running/walking in intervals.  And no, you don't look weak doing it. 

I learned that the company you keep makes all the difference.  The women I run with are fabulous.  They are crazy, and funny, and overwhelmed, and inspiring, and uplifting, and crazy (that bears repeating).  I love it.  I look forward to it.  They make me believe the impossible...that I am capable of doing this.

And Finally, I learned that even though I am not the runner in this family, I can teach my kids to run.  We had a blast running the kids race.  Anthony is hooked on getting medals ( I am assured this is normal in the running community).  They learned that a mile is a long way, and more importantly, that running 13.1 is a ridiculously long way.

No comments: