Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I love you

Everyone loves to hear their children say "I love you" and know that they really mean what they are saying. I know that it will not be long before they learn the dreaded "I hate you" followed by a slamming door.

Anthony never said "I love you" when he was little. Don't get me wrong, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he loved me. But Rob wasn't there when he was little, so he never heard "I love you" as a conversation. Instead, I love you was what I said to him. In fact, it is only recently that he says it with great regularity. It is almost his security blanket. If he is sad, tired, lonely, he will come find me to say "I love you."

But for Gabe the world is totally different. He hears "I love you" conversations all the time. Now he has begun initiating with his toddler "wuv u." I love that I have this memory of him. He is the first to give me this sweet, toddler speak that only one person really understands.

Most importantly, I love that I have a completely different experience with him. Not just because of his personality, but because the situation is so dramatically different. Not all second kids get that sort of memory. It is usually reserved for the first child. I have worked really hard to make sure he is more than Anthony's little brother...maybe I don't need to work so hard, he will find his own way to be unique.

No comments: