So Tuesdays are the day we get our vegetable and fruit delivery from a local coop kinda business. The boys love it. They will try things from the magic treasure chest that they won't try from the store. Kids are so funny. I was unsure if this would work out for us, but I love it too. I spend less because I am at the store less and it forces us to use fruits and veggies I might not otherwise use...like rainbow Swiss chard. I can also get fresh grass fed cow milk. It makes awesome yogurt.
I have been slowly trying to make reasonable changes in our diets. Some things are quick and easy (but maybe not cheap) like the kind of milk we drink. Bread was by far the easiest. I can make 4 loaves at a time and that will usually last us for about 3 weeks. Others have been more difficult, like cutting ready made, store bought snacks. Gabe is completely suckered into the shiney wrapper of snack bars.
Don't get me wrong. I still consider ice cream a food group, and Blue Bell is my favorite. Every once in a while I love going to Sonic or Chic-Fil-A. I know they are bad for me and just don't care. But, I no longer need a super cheese burger and large fries. The small fry for all 3 of us will do.
Hopefully over the next year, we can make the changes stick. If you are thinking you want to try and make some changes, try reading "In Defense of Food" then take a look at everything you have in your pantry and fridge. It will at a minimum make you think about what you are buying and why.
The side benefit is that this is probably the healthiest I have ever felt. I have gained the least amount of weight with this pregnancy and I never feel like I am skimping. I am still looking for the reasonable balance where I don't have to spend all my time cooking, but also don't feel like I am filling my body with junk. Most websites really lean towards doing everything from scratch...which I think only works for a very small percent of people.
To find local farms and farmers markets: http://www.localharvest.org/
I have already found some things in the Savannah area so that we can make the transition during the move.
1 comment:
You're going to love Fresh Market, Market Place, and the Farmer's Market here! And, I can't wait to try your bread!!!
Post a Comment